Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Creating Success Around the World - Nifty Thrifty Things

It's Tuesday! Time to get to know a bit more about one of the many talented bloggers and creatives on the European continent as part of the Creating Success Around the World global blog hop.



This week's European creative showcase:
Nifty Thrifty Things

Who:  Vanessa at Nifty Thrifty Things
Where:  Germany



BVC:  When did your passion for crafting and creating begin?
Vanessa:  My passion for crafting and creating has been a part of me as long as I can think. I have always enjoyed giving handmade gifts and creating things with my hands. One of my earliest memories of being crafty is when I was about 4 or 5 years old and took my little pet bunny "Muckel" for walks (on a cat leash) around our neighborhood. We had a paper craft and a pottery store near by which I would "hit up" almost every afternoon after kindergarten to go to "work". I would spend hours folding up papers into mobiles and forming clay into little figurines.





BVC:  What's your 'day job'?
Vanessa:  In my other life I'm a graphic designer. I just finished up my degree by writing my Bachelor's Thesis in the field of Media Technology this past year and have been working as a freelancer and doing different side jobs.






BVC:  Have you ever sold any of your creations on sites like Etsy or DaWanda?  
Vanessa:  No, I haven't. But who knows? I might try my luck in the future and open up an account. :)







BVC:  Would you say that the German market is supportive for the handmade and crafting movement? 
Vanessa:  There are many, many creative and talented women in Germany with beautiful blogs and crafts. There are more and more craft supply shops opening up, but unfortunately they're not equipped as well as some of the US stores, like Hobby Lobby and Michaels.




Vanessa's mom whipped up this unique Christmas tree 
with things around her home. Now we can see a bit of 
where Vanessa gets her creativity.



BVC:  What is your 'dream' project?  
Vanessa:  My "dream project" is doing a home makeover. The hubby and I would LOVE to buy a house in the future, settle down and start making it into a home.







BVC:  Will you share 3 other German DIY or crafting blogs that you think our readers should see?
Vanessa:  




Yvonne @ Fräulein Klein









Melanie @ Dekoherz








Lydia @ Pudel-Design







BVC:  Fill in the blank. If I were in Paris, I would...
Vanessa:  ...buy a fresh croissant and a café au lait to-go and spend the day at the closest flea market.




Vanessa and I have something in common. We have both been love immigrants. I'm still in Sweden with my Swedish hubby, and she recently lived in the States with her Texas hubby. And if you can't tell from the photos above, as well as being incredibly creative with crafts, Vanessa makes unbelievable "pop-off-the-screen-and-right-into-my-mouth" culinary creations at home. And she definitely needs to consider adding food photographer to her freelance portfolio!

Thank you so much, Vanessa, for sharing a bit of yourself with us today. Hop over to Nifty Thrifty Things and have a wander around. But make sure to eat first or you'll be starving by the time you leave her place. You can also catch Vanessa on Facebook.



If you'd like to catch up with past global blog hop interviews for Europe, check out:
Pouch (United Kingdom)
ReThink Design (Sweden)
Sea Green of Appledore (England)
Stylizimo (Norway)
Ina Olavarria (Spain)
Made by iSa (France)
Handmade by Kallaristi (Greece)
Annemarie's Haakblog (the Netherlands)


Now let's hop over to see who's been discovered in North America, Australia, or Asia.




Are you also in Europe and would like to be considered for an interview feature? Leave me a comment at the end of the post, or send an e-mail with your website/blog to: bluevelvetchair at bredband dot net.

**Don't forget to add your own blog or website to the link party below to connect with new creative soulmates from across the world.


Until next time...
Mike



5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...waffles on a stick!!

    I can't imagine living in a place with no Hobby Lobby!! Poor girl! :(

    (actually we just recently got one here, just had Michaels before that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Vanessa's blog and stop by there each week! You're right about her food photography skills - just brilliant! Great choice to showcase Mike!!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, Germany! The home of my heart! Next to Texas, of course. Thank you so much, GREAT blog and her photos are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigitte - I know! I get hungry every time I glance at her food photos!
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Love Vanessa! Love her blog! Love her Photography... Floral Fridays are my fav... Love her crafts and recipes... she's one of the sweetest, most generous people I've "met" so far. It was great reading this interview and learning even more about her. She's da BOMB!

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com